Saturday, March 15, 2008

my appendix.



it's gone missing. Actually, it's probably in a hazardous waste bin somewhere in St. Paul. Mine got removed last night.

Wednesday night I came down with what I thought was a pretty good stomach bug. Crazy crampy pains just below diaphragm, up ALL night vomiting and being crazy hurt. threw up again thursday AM, took some ibuprofen, called into work. Pain still there, starting to migrate down and right. Still didn't think much of it, just food poisoning. I thought that was odd, as I didnt eat anything that really qualified for that. oh well. dealt with it. rode out to the super rookies house to pick up margaret and my LGR kits. that was exciting. Then rode over to a job interview at a bike shop. still hurting quite a bit, was unable to ride fast, but I got where I was going. I have no idea it'd end up like this.

Woke up yesterday (friday) took some ibuprofen. ate breakfast, all at about 5 o clock. still hurt, so I layed on the couch and watched ninja turtles II, secret of the ooze until I had to go to work. Rode to work...made it. Pretty ineffective at work. Hurt a lot to stand up straight. sat a bunch. Got a call from Margaret saying that I should call around and look for a clinic, because her Boss (Rosa. Thank you!) thinks that it's my appendix. So, she came and got me, I left work, we went to a clinic a bit away, and they pretty much told me to go to the Emergency Room. So we did. And now we spend a TON of money, but at least there was something legitimately wrong with me. Almost worth it. It was fun. painful, but fun. Hospitals are fun. Nurses are fun to talk to. Apparently i'm talkative and funny when I am coming off anesthesia. who'd have thought. Oh, 7 years totally sober and then I need to take all sorts of wacky drugs to get a piece of me removed! WHAT IS THAT?!

oh well. Got to the ER at about 4:40, operated on at 9, wheeled to room at about 11 where my wife and her parents were waiting for me. Nice people. It was nice to be with people who care.

It's scary. Surgery. I never thought it was happen to me. Ever. who does, I suppose? i'm only 23. Too young for this. Too young for a lot of the things I have done, I guess. (like be married?) I don't know. I really like my life. It's just frustrating at time.

My mom and a few siblings and probably my moms boyfriend are showing up today, so I'm told. It'll be nice to see them. Called and told my Dad. he sounded more shook up about than I expected him to be. He's usually pretty solid. But I guess I pretty much called him out of the blue and said I was having surgery I'd freak out a bit too.

THe one thing that I think about a lot is what if Rosa hadn't said anything about Appendix? what if it had happened last weekened when Margaret was gone? She's have come back to a very in pain jason with a ruptured appendix. those things can kill you! I NEVER would have gone the doctor on this. I'd have just waited till it went away, in a way, THANK (your) God that I'm married. If this happened in Philadephia I probably would have died. Probably not in Milwaukee, because my dad is there, he'd have known enough to take me in.

I dunno. Now I have a week off of work, but I can't really do anything! I hope that I can get back on the bike and working hard again in a minimal amount of time. I still have pretty high goals this year. we'll see how it goes. don't let me push it. I don't want my bowels coming through my stomach!

Crazy few days it's been...

2 comments:

margaret said...

I am rooting for you!!!

Tenacious T said...

You're lucky you went in when you did.

My appendix ruptured when I was 20 and I was laid up for over 2 months.

At least you're funny when you're doped up...I just swear a lot (according to my grandma).