Wednesday, November 18, 2009

I think I figured out a key difference between myself and others.

Just tonight it hit me. I was at my Deaf Culture class. We met at Charles Thompson Memorial Hall, or, the Deaf club, this evening. It was a really great experience to see it all, and listen to a Deaf panel discuss their thoughts, ideas and upbringings. It was a very valuable experience, and was a bit eye opening.

I think the main difference between me, and a lot of my peers, is that when I learn something about the world, I tend to not ignore it as readily. Maybe that's just my imagination, but, when considering that I acknowledge that smoking is bad, so I don't do it. I understand that animals suffer to create our (meat eaters) meals, I know that minority groups are discriminated against, I know that drinking regularly is not good for you, and so on. I think all of these things are common knowledge, but I also think that some people choose to ignore the facts (and the beliefs that they know to be true, but suppress). I have a very hard time suppressing my outrage at injustice. I know I'm not alone in that, and I know I'm not perfect. We all have to choose our battles, but it seems to me a lot of people aren't fighting at all.

Just an observation. Fight for something. It'll make you a stronger human. You just might like it.

2 comments:

tc worley said...

You also have red hair- which is different from a lot of people - and also an etch-a-sketch tattoo.

Jason said...

Hey, you're right! Maybe that's it!