Tuesday, April 15, 2008

On getting rubbed out.

Rabobank got a glimpse of the future at Cross Worlds this year. Sadly, it certainly was NOT Sven Nys. Forgive the comparison, but he's basically the Merckx of Cross. Minus the world championships.

Nys is moving on to Landbouwkrediet. Effective Jan 1 09. That's a long time right now. Strangely enough, that would mean that he would ride almost all season with Rabobank, and then finish it (Worlds) with the new team (that was hard enough to spell the first time).

Is Lars Boom the Future of cyclocross? Rabobank must think so, in my opinion. I can't say that I don't agree. Sven is getting "a bit long in the tooth." I wonder if this is the first step towards retirement.

I'm not sure. Maybe he should join Tristan, Page, and Marko at Planet Bike. That'd be more interesting.

I also hope I still see his name on the roster for the odd early season classics (and semi-classics.) It's always interesting to see him off the front and then back out the back...Makes me smile.

http://www.velonews.com/article/74695/nys-signs-with-landbouwkrediet

No comments: