Thursday, January 31, 2008

new CX upgrade rules?



First off, Thanks to Ben for the picture, and the heads up. That's how it's going to be this year. I don't like it. People will get to cat 3 SUPER fast. Then not be very good. It's going to clog up the B races, I reckon. 5 starts in an auto upgrade to cat 3? I'm not sure. We'll see how it goes, but I think bad thoughts about this. Also, I feel it will be MUCH harder to upgrade to the faster categories. Considering how many people race the A2 race, you'll have to finish in the 3 or 4 just to get one point. I think it will take forever for people to upgrade. That said, you only need 10 points and two wins is an auto upgrade. I think it might work out. Basically, you have to be winning your races to be able to race the next one. No more consistent 6th place upgrades. That might work out well. The people racing the harder races will have earned it. It should keep the speeds and skill up. I'm curious to see how this works. Did I mention that I can't wait until cyclocross season?

There should be at least one surprise in the local ranks. Another surprise if we travel a few hundred miles. This is going to be a very interesting season.

High Five Bicycles is coming together. Look for it at a race near you.

3 comments:

Hemme said...

High Five Bicycles.

Maybe you should have one of these.
http://www.threadless.com/product/1137/I_High_Five_Strangers

I haven't figured out if this upgrade change is good or bad. I just want to go to 2, which youll have to do as well so we can race again.

Super Rookie said...

my guess is that those requirements aren't usacycling, but rather a local associations.

just my guess, do you have a link or a source to that graph?

looks kind of dumb to me.

Jason said...

oh, mike. It'll happen. It's on my list of things to do. I'll see you in WI. I have two things to say to you. One. you being a damn super expert mtb-er was unexpected. congradulations. two. the unidentified rider catching air on your photo from jingle cross was none other than the U23 national champion Bjorn Selander.

and Tim:

http://www.usacycling.org/forms/USAC_rulebook.pdf
check it. i think it's page 19. or 17. something like that.