Tuesday, January 22, 2008

what if...?

What if you were told that you only had 10 minutes left to live? More importantly, what does the answer to that question say about you?

If I were told that I was going to be dead ten minutes from now, I really don't think that I'd run around do a bunch of crazy stuff. I wouldn't go get super loaded. I wouldn't eat anything fancy. I wouldn't go do anything illegal. It's easy to say what I wouldn't do. It's harder to say what I WOULD do. I'm pretty sure that it would depend what kind of a mood I was in at the time. First option, if I'm feeling a little randy, I'd probably go set myself up to die at some amazing time. Like maybe just go by some Mcdonalds and die eating something disgusting in the corner of the "restaurant". Maybe go drop dead while crossing the street. Something confusing. I'm not sure. More than likely I'd get introspective. Probably either put on an American Nightmare cd or take a walk and think. Maybe both, I do have an MP3 player. I'd probably be fairly somber, but I don't think that is unreasonable. I'd probably just want to be left alone and die thinking about life. I wouldn't want to be in a big group of friends pretending to celebrate my life while knowing full well I'll be forgotten in some amount of years only to be remembered on occasions few and far between when some sort of random stimuli drums up a thought. I don't need that.

Does wanting to be left alone in the last moments of my life mean that I'm not a very exciting guy? Sure, it may be the case depending on who you ask, but does what I want to do with my last minutes speak volumes about the sort of person that I am? I'm not sure. I'm not a psychologist. I'll never know. I suppose that is up to someone that is not me to decide.

I guess I'm not really going anywhere with all of that, but what would YOU do if you were told that you had 10 minutes left to live?

6 comments:

Homme said...

being married w/ kids, this is not something I really have to ponder.

Jason said...

Is that to say that you'd spend your last ten minutes working to buy them another dinner? or that you'd sit on the couch and have a cuddle puddle? I'm glad that you know what you'd do. Good man.

MontyM said...

I'd like to be with my family

Jason said...

I suppose I should have spent more time explaining that 10 minutes is a very short amount of time. Waiting that long to tell someone that kind of news is kind of a slap in the face in and of itself. Increase the time to 10 hours or 10days and my answer changes greatly. 10 minutes is trivial.

margaret said...

i would want to be with my family.
which isn't saying much...since he wouldn't want to be with me.
BooooHoooooo.

Jason said...

Magaret, you definitely don't need to doubt that I love you. First off, I couldn't even be home in ten minutes. Second, I don't know if I need you to see me feeling that sorry for myself. I wouldn't want it to be a big cry party. You know that I love you.