Saturday, January 19, 2008

Starting to shape up a bit.

The road bike is back together. That's nice. SO much faster than the cross bike. It just goes. I love that bike. Rode it a couple miles to over the Stone Arch bridge and met with TC, where I jumped in his car and drove a bit over to this guy Arts house in Dinkytown. We rode some trainers for an hour. First time this year. Does this mean that training has started? Not really...? Didn't ride too hard. Threw in a couple of 20-30 second harder efforts. Mostly just trying to make sure my legs still work. I haven't ridden hard since Jingle Cross and haven't ridden for an hour since who knows when. August? I felt good, though. Felt good to work hard. I really like it. OH! I rode for over an hour on the computrainer over Christmas. That was more fun.

Today my wife, her dad (monty), and I got registered for the Horribly Hilly Hundred. 100 or 200k ride just west of Madison, WI. Last year registration (1000 riders) filled up in something like 4 hours. A lot of those people had to walk up the damn hills. That isn't cool. Walking a bike is a shame. I'm signed up for the 200k, but I'm pretty sure I'm just going to do the 100k as fast as I can. 60some miles at as fast as I can give it. That should be fun. I hope I can meet up with another guy or two to rotate with. Even a solo ride will be fun. Good training? Either way. Fun times. Finish the 100k and then meet up with wife and new dad and ride more with them. Basically the goal is to hurt myself as much as possible without doing any long term damage. So that puts me out of town the weekend of June 14th. No racing for me that weekend. I'm ok with that. Sometimes things like this are more important. Last year I finished the 200k in something like 8 hours and 9 minutes. I also was down for about an hour and a half when my bottom bracket tried to work itself out of the frame and make it so I couldn't shift chainrings, and just sketch me out, because my BB had worked itself about a 1/2" out of the frame. I kept thinking I was going to die. That bike wasn't worth it. I think the fastest we went was something like 54.5mph down one of the hills. That was fun, Albeit terrifying.

It's the same route as last year. This year I know what to expect and maybe more of what to do differently. Hopefully I'll be in better shape this year as well. I should have more miles in by then. Last year all I had done was commute. This year should be more impressive. The goal is 2.75 hours. That'll be pretty much flying, I think. Not an easy goal. But easy goals aren't worth making.

We'll see.

2 comments:

MontyM said...

This year the ride filled up in less than an hour! I'm so happy we make it in. I'm glad to hear you are going to do the 100k at spiriting speeds! If you do hit your time goal I'll bet you will will be in the top 5!

Oh, the ride is June 14th, not July 14th.

New Dad.

Jason said...

fixed. thank you.