Thursday, June 18, 2009

rant.

We all know them. The people that hang out on the Marshall/Lake st bridge between St Paul and Minneapolis carrying signs that say "US out of Iraq" and the like. First off, don't get me wrong, I don't disagree with their message, but they're going about it all wrong. Nothing makes me more angry on a regular basis than seeing these schmucks on the side of the road.

Why? Because I personally feel that they make my commute to work, or back from school more dangerous than it needs to be. It's hard enough to ride a bike in the city when drivers ARE paying attention. Do you really think that it's a good idea to be distracting drivers on a bridge? A bridge with a bike lane? I don't. Not only because there is no where to go on that bridge, but because the honks are also unsettling. Call me panicky, that's fine. I've been hit by cars before, and it hasn't been that bad, but I'm not trying to get hit again. It's been a few years, and I'd like for it to be a few more.

Folks on bridge, please take it somewhere else. I do realize that is a good spot for your visibility, but it isn't the safest.

Background: One time I was protesting outside of a fur store in Milwaukee with an animal rights group, and some cars stopped paying attention to the road, for who knows how long...Some driver just started slowing down, and the driver behind her rear ended her pretty hard. Not what we had intended to happen at all, and it sucked. Especially when the drivers were accusing us as the cause.

Not fun. Keep it safe out there folks!

3 comments:

muyres said...

where should they do it?

Jason said...

i dunno. a good spot (much more visible spot) may be a freeway overpass? but, I've also become the type that doesn't think protesting helps. people either agree or disagree. a sign isn't going to change that. Gotta do something a little more dramatic. so yeah, banner drop it.

Super Rookie said...

they have been on the bridge for over 10 years on wednesday evenings.