Friday, June 13, 2008

bike rides and caf-fiend.

Got to Oshkosh. Rained ALL DAY sunday. Flooded streets and basements. Spent some time cleaning up "dirty" water in the basement. Oshkosh water removal is a flawed system.

Rode around the lake (Lake Winnebago) Monday. Took a VERY long time. 100 miles. Well, 99.3. I made up the difference with two laps around the block. I don't know why it didn't feel good. We were one our bikes for a long time. almost 7 hours? Very long. We all made it. Monty felt freshest. I felt like crap. I couldn't figure out why. My legs still worked for the most part. Maybe it was just the saddle time. That could do it. Margaret started with the knee pains again. Not good.

Her bike had come while we were gone. I put it together that night. It's nice. It is a Kuota Kharma. It's blue. It's very pretty.

There it is. Mostly. You can't see the entire front end, but a good picture is nowhere in sight. Maybe Margaret can fill in the gap.

It's nice. A bit heavier than the Trek, but it's smaller. And that is what counts.


Tuesdays ride was less intense. A pretty easy 25 miles. I ramped it up once just to see if I really was crap, or if I just felt like it. I'm not entirely crap. Just a little.

Wednesday was the "tough guy ride" out of Wheel and Sprocket w/ Jay (one of Montys bike people). Ate dinner (baked potato and steamed broccoli) with family about 1/2 hour before ride. Not best idea. 30 or so people showed up. Ended with 4. I rode with some Cat 1 from Appleton and a Cat 3 from FDL. It was fun. It was hard. My legs worked, but barely. I got told to not pull so hard and just take it easy. A flaw of mine, admittedly. I finished the ride with them, and a TT guy just off the back (not drafting, I reckon). Everyone else got back within the next few minutes. It was great. And hard. I needed that.

Thursday we went to MKE. I rode with a former teammate (not that we ever raced together). An hour of hard efforts up what hills are on Lincoln Memorial Drive in MKE. It was fun again...Still hard, but not as hard. No one pushed us as hard. It was great to see him, and had a blast. Speaking of blasts, We rode through a Tornado Warning apparently. We got back to the coffee shop and the sky opened up for about 45 minutes. Rained SUPER hard. It was great. We stayed dry.

MKE got rained on all night. So did Oshkosh. They got flooded again. Big time. People tubing down the streets and whatnot.


We got back (to Oshkosh) today after a lot of hanging out and food in MKE. Little bit of water around still, but most of it seems to have soaked up. Quite a few reports of flooded basements, though.

I dunno. No ride today. Almost time to head out to the hotel in Madison. Big ride tomorrow. Hope my bike stays together.

(I was cleaning it and the wind blew the stand over. Bike fell on drive side and all but fucked my derailleur hanger. I hope it holds. Couldn't get a replacement on such short notice, But OC let me bring my bike in and TRY to straighten it out. It seems to work. I'll have to find the extra one back at the house in MPLS.)

(photo credit. First one to me. Second one to Monty. http://www.flickr.com/photos/montym/ )

No comments: