Sunday, June 1, 2008

I gotta say it was a positive day!

Went for a ride with the team, and a few new guys...It was fun. Planned easy day. Went west to excelsior. Friends of Dave Matthews band sponsor a stretch of road. Maybe that is where they flip their visors around and upside down and throw frisbees. Lord knows they do need to be quaranteened.

Looped back up to Wayzata (usual stop). This was where the dilemma happened. I was planning a long day. 100-125 miles. I didn't think anyone else would want anything to do with that. Would I have the motivation to do it alone? Shit...I know me. And if you've been paying attention, you should know how this is gonna go.

BUT, I impress not only myself, but apparently the bike gods, too. I think that I regained by "Beast" status. Or was it a Machine? I don't recall...

First loop w/ team was average 16.7 or so...Not super fast. I didn't reset the trip. I made a comment about going the rest of the way (few laps around Lake Independence...Not exactly flat) at about 18-22 mph, if anyone was interested. No one was, but Super Rookie had a smart comment about how I'd be going 16 on some of those climbs. He was correct, and that means that I went.

115 Miles on the ride. most around 18-22, but a lot of time spent in the high 20's (even on the flats...FUCK, I don't know if I ever knew how strong I apparently am until I put that computer back on. Most flats were pushing 25-28.) I got over 30 a time or two on the downhills. Never really pushed it, I was going for distance, with respectable speed. I was down to in the 13's on some of the climbs (mph, not cog)...I'm ok with that, and being honest about it.

All said and done, I did 3 long laps around the lake, one backwards, and never felt anything close to death. Although I am going to buy some insoles for my shoes. Damn my feet hurt. Lets felt strong most of the day. I realized that the difference between me surrendering up a hill and small ring/high cadencing it is about 6-8 mphs lower than me "attacking" it. I'm feeling pretty good about myself right now...

Most of the ride my avg was resting in the 17 mph range. I spend most of the day above it.

I'm happy to say that I pulled 115 mile moderately hilly route at 18 mph avg even. That makes me very glad. You'd have thought I was on a bus with Sandra Bullock and Bruce Willis the way I was trying to keep it above 18 through the city on the way back in...

Good times. I hope I can make it to TC's for the shindig tonight!I got chickens to pet.

Gotta go look at a few apartments now!

No comments: