Saturday, June 14, 2008

HHH report.

Made it. 100k. 67 miles, actually. 3 hours, 37 minutes and 20 seconds. avg speed of 18.1. Lots of hills. 39-23 wasn't low enough. I should have used a different cassette.

All told, it was amazing. I didn't get passed by anyone. Literally. Lots of really fast speeds. Lots of REALLY slow speeds. Some single digit MPH climbing. Top speed of 49.5mph. Low speed in the 5mph range. I felt strong all day, well...most of the day. Monty made his 200k quite easily, at least thats how it looked.

Beautiful weather. Couldn't have asked for a better day. Had to be mid-70's with about 10mph wind or so. It was nice. Sunny, with just about no clouds. About 6 of the hills got me. I was able to carry most of them from either the flat or the downhill before the base of them. It was really fun. Helped some lady change a flat. It was pretty funny, she had the instructions for changing a tube out. She needed the help. I hope it got her to the rest stop for mechanical (official mechanical, anyhow) assistance.

Ate a lot of fruit, and a few gels. Nothing crazy. Got to every rest stop with two empty bottles, as planned. I felt good about my food/water consumption.

After I finished I backtracked the course looking for Margaret, who also did the 100k. She was about 5 miles back down the road I just went up. She looked great when I saw her. Not very fatigued looking at all. I was impressed. She made it up the last hill (3 miles, mostly up. one false flat, one short downhill into a turn. More uphill, false flat, and then the road got steep until the end.) She went up it. Slowly, but so did I. 5-7 mph. I'm ok with it. I was starting to cramp the second time up. We rode past tons of people going VERY slowly or walking(!) their bikes. I am VERY proud of her. I think she's very strong...and determined. I'm a lucky guy to have her.

Yeah, we all killed it. I'm very happy and proud of us. I hope we can get in next year.

1 comment:

jasonludtke said...

glad to hear this ride went so well and you and margarent finished so strong! thursday was awesome. I'll keep it above 85 now give my little ring a bit more attention.