Saturday, June 7, 2008

racing and driving.

So. Today was fun. Drove to WI for the Woolly mtb race. It was amazing. Hard race. Lot of hills. Lot of really bumpy flats. Couple really scary stair things.

I got 4th in the competition class. LG would have beaten me, but he broke his damn pedal and screwed his whole race up. I chased some people, and rode away from some people, but it was fun. I really enjoyed it, and I suggest that everyone comes out for this next year. It's great, and close. Margaret got third lady in comp. NOT BAD. I'm impressed. She's tough. She finished. So did Fil. Couple minutes behind me. He looked strong when I was with him. Good spirits after the race, too. He looked like he was hurting less than me. I was jealous.

Singlespeed on this course? I did. You can too. Not the best course for a SS, but it was good. Worked out well. Never found myself wishing for gears, save for the flat pavement, but I bet I'd want that even in I had gears.

Then Margaret and I (and the dogs) finished our trip to Oshkosh. We're far away now. It's nice. Raining. Oshkosh Cyclery went and REALLY messed up Margarets dads bike. They installed a Red group, but they did a terrible job. I would not have let that happen at freewheel. Not really my responsibility, but it was really bad. Loose BB, loose headset. The left shifter was a solid inch below the right. The high limit screw on the rear derailleur was too tight, and both of the front ones were too loose, and therefore rubbing WAY too much when cross chaining. It kinda made me mad, just seeing it, as a mechanic. I have to wonder how these things happen. Rookies...

Yeah. Mountain bikes are amazing. I really like them. Driving isn't so fun. Good thing I didn't do any. Just sleeping in the passenger seat.

Gotta ride bikes this week. It'll be fun. I'm excited.

No comments: