Monday, December 24, 2007

17 miles on the computrainer, and a windy snowstorm


First off, I just have to mention that I really don't dread indoor training the way some people do. I'd way rather grind it out hard in the basement and just be wasted and finish and just walk upstairs, than do intervals miles from my house and be cooked and still have to ride home. It's just better. Besides, not being able to coast or even really softpedal down hills has to be beneficial.

Yesterday I rode against my time from 1 year ago. The first time I visited what was to become my new family I rode some course (pretty sure it's called, simply, 17 miler). WOW! Interesting! I beat my last time by a mere 7 (SEVEN) seconds! A good number to win by. I think that part is pretty cool. I average one watt more (245). I don't know if that's good or bad. I do know that last time I was totally gone at the end. This time I made an effort to not overdo it the first half. At one point I was 1/4 mile down on my former self. I made it, and then some, so I suppose that part is cool. I haven't ridden hard since Jingle Cross 3 weeks ago. And I've been well into a diet of cookies and potato chips. (165ish this week. give or take a few depending on time of day. 161 after Alp D'Huez...more later)I suppose it could have been worse. I'll try again on the same course tomorrow maybe and see what happens.

Trying to eat better for a bit. Training is starting for the coming road season. Time to get in shape. Can do.

Next time I'll have to bring my bike and see what I can do with a bike that is set up for me and using a system I know how to shift! Dura Ace is confusing to me nowadays!

Magaret also rode the same course. Against her own time from a year and half or so ago. She absolutely killed her former self. Beat her old time by 2.96 miles. That's a long way. Looked great doing it. She really impresses me. A lot. She doesn't give up when things are hard. I really respect her a lot. She's pretty great. I really hope she'll give a road race a try this year. I just want to see what'll happen. I don't really know, but I think it would definitely be surprising. Pretty sure she'd do pretty well. Who knows. Here's to hoping I find out.

Monty (Margarets dad) also rode the trainer. He road stage 4 of the Horribly Hilly Hundred (which we all plan do again this year. A bit differently for me, though...I want to do the 100k this time and try to just leave all of me on the roads and get a good time rather than grind out the 200k. I also hope to not have any mechanicals this year!) He's got some good goals. He's a long distance grinder, that's for sure. I don't know how he does it. The goal for this year is 300k at the Dairyland Dare. That's going to be tough. We both have some work to do for that one.

And snow. And wind. Dogs hate life this time of the year. It's true. At least little ones with not a lot of fur. It's a little amusing.

4 comments:

tc worley said...

I don't hate thr trainer like most people do either. It is the only way I can get my fix in this blankety-blank state during winter. Let's do some trainer-ing when you get back. We can try to sucker some teamates in too.

Jason said...

i think that might have to happen, although I am still currently trainerless in MPLS. When we get back from New York it's very high on my list of things to do.

tc worley said...

I have rollers and a magnetic. Could share till you get your own.

Jason said...

that might have to happen. I'll call you as soon as i get a chain for my road bike...