Monday, December 24, 2007

Assault on Alp D'Huez



Nope. I'm not in France. I suppose the weather might be a little better over there, though. Maybe not, considering it was probably about 70 degrees and balmy in the basement where the Computrainer lives. I rode the Alp D'Huez course. About a 6 mile flat followed by 8 miles of a 8.something average uphill. Never drops below 5 percent. Goes into the 12percents on occasion. Man, does 6% feel good after 13%.Pretty much go flat for a little too long, and then go up for 8 miles. Finished the course in 1 hour 7 minutes and 50 seconds. My goal was an hour ten. Mission accomplished. Pretty hard. The last 3 miles of 7.9% gradient really started to hurt. I kept thinking it was going to level off at the end (the profile map looked as such), but it never did. I saw the finish line and was done before the grade would relent.

Made up a playlist of Sinatra, Cat Stevens and James Taylor. Good times. I really like Sinatra. Cat Stevens has been one of my favorite since I've been old enough to ride in a car with my dad. Long time. Longer than I've known what bicycles do. Oh well, I like bikes more. (then being in a car with dad, not than dad)

Average MPH of 12.something (my flat section was pretty fast). Seemed to hover around 6mph into the 13% and around 9-11 in the 8% and about 12 at 6%. It was really tough. Average watts 265. No HRM...probably 5 beats from internal combustion. Just sat there with a towel over my head and ground it out. All is well that ends well. Showered, shaved my legs for the first time in too long, and then made soft tacos. Life is good. I love being in Oshkosh.

Hope to aquire some rollers while in town. Rather do that than be locked into a stationary trainer (although it is a lot harder to fall off of a trainer). Back to Minneapolis and work in a few days. Boo on that.

No comments: