Friday, December 28, 2007

Coldsprints. Pt. II

I figure I might as well write about it when the ache is still in my head and my throat. Tonight was really fun. They switched from blips to feet as a measuring system. Jake let me in on that secret after I was confused why I did so much better last time. I don't think I did. I qualified this time. 1306 ft. Bounced in the first round by a guy (Ben L. something) that went about 65 feet further than i did. I'm ok with that. I just wanted to qualify. Check. It was nice to see some people and get my head away from missing my wife while she's gone. (which sucks, by the way) Jake did well again, but not well enough. Still a fast guy, though. Homme won. Not by much. Beat some huge mass of a man by less than a second, if I remember correctly. It was fun. A good night. TC had to run early, which was a bummer, but it works out. I didn't even say goodbye to many people, so it's fair...

Spent most of the night onstage with Tim helping set seat height for the varying tallness of riders. It was fun. I broke a seatpost clamp (which I did in philly as well...I guess I have a history of doing such). But Tim broke one maybe two minutes after I did. Someone should give Bianchi a heads up about faulty clamps. Get that fixed. Lost my voice pretty quick. Took my shirt off after much (ok, a little) deliberation, but in my defense, I did it for Joel, not the ladies. (I held up the ring and told them I was married, but Joel said that wasn't an excuse...I bit). I still got beat by two seconds. Stayed up through the finals and the grudge matches, which were fun, but tiresome. A lot of girls yelling right in front of the stage for all of the riders to take their shirts off. Less people bit than I expected too, but some of the ladies actually threw in money to the charity pot to con riders out of their clothes. It was pretty fun, and also amusing. Before I left I rode against Pike (who beat me last time, and in qualifying again today) who beat me by .6 seconds over 200m. I guess there is a reason he qualifies better than me. He's faster. Let's go out to Boom Island or some road race and play out there, too. Which brings me to my next topic.

Racing disciplines are a funny thing. Little guy is two time (and defending) Stupor Bowl champ. Probably the best crosser on the team. Didn't even qualify. Jake and I went back and forth all cross season. He CRUSHES me at coldsprints. I beat most of the people around here in the few alleycats I've raced. I'm confident that I am faster than most of the people that beat me. But that said, I can't MTB for shit. Who knows...Just pick what you're good at and stick with it. Some people are just better at more things than others. It works out.

I'm tired, I have a book to read, I have a headache, and I miss my wife. I'm going to bed.

No comments: