Wednesday, August 13, 2008

News?

I just got a call from the hospital. Man. I got a bit nervous when they start a phone call with "This is Laura from HCMC, Is this Jason?". Turns out that they were just calling to remind me of my appointment tomorrow at 1. At least now I know exactly where to go. That'll be nice.

So, Tomorrow I find out what happens. Either there is no cancer in the lymph node that they took out, and they chalk me up in the "Cancer Survivor" statistic, or there IS cancer in my lymph node, and it could be anywhere. The impression that I get is that the Sentinal node is the lymph node that is the first in the series for a particular area. When they injected me with dye, it drained to the "sentinal" node. From there, it can go anywhere and everywhere. I am under the impression that things go the sentinal node first, and then wherever it wants after that. No easy way to know.

I do know that I don't have any tumors, as an early x-ray and blood test indicated. Basically, If it's not in my node, I'm "cured" and that seemed too easy, despite the level of suck. If it's in there I'm screwed and get to do chemo to kill it. No more choppin me up, cause they don't know where I'd be hiding. Although, they do have fancy machines to help them find it.

We'll see how it is. I'll update when I find out. Come say hi to me at black dog.

4 comments:

dg said...

Hey Jason,
I've only spoken to you a few times as one of the track officials, but nevertheless, I really hope you get some great news on Thusday. A positive attitude goes a long way. Don't get down on yourself. Yes, I know...it is easy for me to say. What I can relate to you is from a close relative to me. Pacreatic cancer, metastacised to lung cancer - 5 yr survival rates are < 5% according to her surgeon. That was in May 2002. She's again planning her winter trip to AZ for 2009.
No one deserves cancer, but for the Ted Bundy types. It just happens. You can beat it. As a fellow vegetarian, I wish you all the best. I'm sure this goes for many others- if you need anything, don't hesitate to ask.
See you at the track.

Radio Freddy said...

Jason - Our thoughts are with you and yours. Stay strong. - RF

pmax said...

I hope they got it all. I was diagnosed last Thanksgiving (07) and had surgery on Christmas Eve.

I had the choice not to do radiation and or Chemo, after removal. I was lucky.

I still hate the check ups. My next one is in Sept. Wish me luck.
Pmax

MontyM said...

All fingers are crossed!

Here is an interesting Wiki article:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sentinel_lymph_node