Thursday, October 23, 2008

High Five Bicycles update again.

Hey folks. Thanks for following the progress. Progress is, that we've got two cross frames in the world! One out in Portland, and another in Milwaukee!

That's good news.

Shawn (guy behind Ruckus Components is the one with the High Five out in Portland.

This is what he did with it.

And then he proceeded to do THIS with it.


and THIS is what he had to say about it.

"holy balls i love the high-five and those wheels. fuck man, totally awesome"
"also it is so crazy light I was flying through barriers"

"Late last night I finished building up my new cyclocross racing bike. It is a High-Five frame/fork courtesy of Jason Prudhom and High-Five cycles. The rest of the build is either parts I made or parts off my road bike.

The crankset is a FSA-SLK with big beefy external bearings on the bottom bracket and a single 42t chainring and a custom Ruckus Components chainguard.

The wheels are also courtesy of High-Five cycles and are a deep section carbon fiber tubular wheel with Grifo Challenges glued on them (courtesy of Ben’s Cycle and Fitness).

The brakes are custom Ruckus Components carbon fiber brakes.

The stem/handlebars/brifters are from my road bike and a Ritchey WCS stem, Bontrager Race Lite bars, Shimano Ultegra brifters.

The seatpost is the original OEM seatpost, which will probably be the only part I would ever really legitimately change because changing that alone drops more than half a pound. And when you are forced to run with your bike on your back, weight matters.

The rear derailleur is a Shimano XT shadow. I am really excited to be using this derailleur, it is a fairly light mountain bike derailluer (238 grams) with high spring tension. Also since it is a Shadow series it sits more underneath the chainstay and doesn’t stick out past the rear wheel quick release (very useful when crashing). Aesthetically it is nice because with the rear derailleur cable/housing running straight down the seat stay it goes directly into the derailleur, no silly loops here folks.

Overall it weighs in just over 17 lbs which is pretty impressive considering I have a really heavy seatpost, my unused left brifter, and my LOOK pedals still on there. By far the lightest bike I have ever owned, even my road bike weighed in around 21 lbs and that had road tires on it.

Today I took it out for the Monday lawyer ride. I put on an easy 30 mile (it is a recovery day after all) of good climbs and fast descents with tight turns. It handled marvelously, I was able to hang on the climbs with that 42:27 gearing, I think because it is lighter and a stiffer frame. The bike also handled all the speed bumps better than my steel/carbon road bike. The tracking on it is tight so that will need some getting used to, but it was my first ride after all."


He sent me a list of weights, which I will try to find and post. All said and done, if he likes it as much as I like my road frame, he'll be a happy camper.

Want one? $750 for the one he has. 55 top tube. 7005 front w/ carbon rear end/full carbon fork, and headset.

$550 for the same fork and headset, with an all 7005 frame. Same angles. Same everything. No carbon.

Shipping/paint included.

I have the geometry charts in a .pdf, but have NO idea how to post a .pdf onto my blog...

Will continue to update progress regarding High Five Bicycles on here, until I have enough to start a new site for it.

UPDATED WITH WEIGHTS

"frame/uncut fork/headset 4.40 lbs
frame/fork/headset/seatpost/wheels/tires/cassette 9.90 lbs
seatpost 0.9 lbs

apparently i can't find my numbers on the frame individual frame weight, yet
other info
ruckus guards 30 grams
ruckus brakes 160 grams for a full bikes worth, with hardware"

If anyone is looking for sweet chainring guards, this is the guy to talk to. I can put you in touch. Also, as soon as he'll send me a set of those brakes, i'll review those on here!

2 comments:

Ben said...

looks great man! Ride the F*&% out of those things...

jasonludtke said...

I can attest to the awesomeness of his bashguards. tough as all get out, light, keeps your chain on, and is nice on the eyes, and wallet(compared to similar products) to boot! get soooome!