Saturday, October 4, 2008

Racing in NOT Orono.

Wasn't totally sure what the plan was today. Turned out Margaret got the call to be an official! So, that was cool. It was nice to know she was there, even if she couldn't really hang out.

A race. Little guy got the holeshot! Didn't want it, though, so Doug took it. He and Hareland fought it out for a few laps, and then Dewey have him a try. Dewey was able to pass Doug, but we think Doug was playing with him...Doug won. Not a big surprise, I reckon. Little guy dropped his chain a ton. New bike blues...Spencer didn't make good on his threats of Madison fitness.

B race. My race. Lined up next to Super Rookie and Cleary. Good times. Ridley guy got the holeshot. And won the race. He's old, though, so it doesn't matter to me. I was riding with Atherton and a few others...Which was going well, until I rolled my tire. Yeah, I ride clinchers...That was strange. Couldn't figure out what happened. I got off the bike, tried to unhook my brake, thinking that i broke a spoke or somehting and could just keep riding. Then I noticed that it wasn't broken, just that my tire was not all the way on. LG told me to get on his bike...I thought about it for about a second, and then got on and kept racing! LG and dis helped out a TON by fixing my tire, and reinstalling the brake pad i apparently lost... Did a lap on LG's bike and made up ground. They told me my bike was ready. I got around to the pit and we did the worst exchange in...i dunno. it was bad, though.I got on the right bike, and was back off to the races, though. Kept moving up and feeling ok, minus the SUPER sore lower back cross thing...I caught a group of 5 or 6. Mario, Rich, and some others...I rode with them through the BMX part of the course, and then gave it all I had to get around them (2 to go) and get a gap. It worked. I stayed away from them and turned my attention to catching Atherton (again) and teammate Byrnes. Never did it. Finished 12th overall and 7th in the Cat 3's. I'll take it. Too many LOOSE turns for me.

Hudson Tomorrow. That'll be fun! Oh, and thanks to a lot of people for yelling at me. I heard Margaret, although she was supposed to be working. Casper, Jimmer, The Team...I don't remember. Nate and Mario both were encouraging me while I was racing. I love Cross. So much fun! Oh, and I blew a kiss at Steve (Haugh) as I crossed the line, because he was SURE I wouldn't finish on the lead lap. Yep. A success!

Oh, and Margot, I never talked to you after the race, but I sure hope your bike worked well. And thanks to Ray for getting me involved in that can 'o worms!

And Aric and Patty...SWEET JUMPS!

Here's to rain!

No comments: